Monday 1 April 2013

Otherworld Adventurers, news and extras review.

We've all seen Otherworld's adventurers painted up beautifully on the Otherworld site.  It's worth looking again because a few excitingly good variants of these adventurers are beginning to appear on the site as well.
Variant model of DAH1a. Think I prefer him for my fighter.

Variant model of DAH4a. Great model use to represent Merlin or even DrBargle.
If you want to see any of the others you'll have to go over to the Otherworld shop!

That all said the main point of this post is to take a closer look at all the wonderful extras released so far for the backers of Otherworlds indigogo campaign.


First up we have a nice treasure pile. Its a good haul with one large chest, two medium and one small all with good detail. Some over spilling sacks of coins and a pile of coins, scrolls and a crown finish the loot. They could work well as separate piles but really for the best effect your going to want to mount them together.









Next a pair of guard dogs, a realistic size, smaller than the marauder dark elf mastiffs but not horribly so. They have an armoured harness on and will look great painted up as Bullmastiffs.













The dwarf mercenary is a lovely if simple sculpt. The style is a little different to the adventurer dwarves but they will still work together, particularly when painted by the same person. He will be a great bit of muscle for any serious party who take along henchmen.









Except for the shields and backpack the extra weapons are cast with hands attached. The same style as the adventurers, the temptation to use them is strong but I cannot see myself cutting up the lovely boxed sets I just received  A shrewd move by Otherworld? Could be, I may find myself buying extras to convert using this set.











The hirelings are a great addition to any party and will complement the boxed set coming out soon. In order we have here a lantern bearer in padded armour wearing a kettle helm. This along with the notched sword he holds shows that he isn't there just to hold the lantern. He has no backpack (but see the spare above..) and a sling bag holding what looks like spare flasks of oil for the lantern that he carries suspended from a pole. Rope is coiled over his left shoulder. The mule handler appears to be wearing a leather apron and close fitting hat. He certainly isn't here for combat. His backpack holds bundles of fodder and various water skins. He has a bucket of I believe oats and a a rope lead ready to bend to attach to the mule. The porter has a  padded jerkin on, smaller than the lantern bearers. He also has a Norman style pointed helm and a dagger. I guess this means he is prepared to face some danger but perhaps not in the front line. He has a staff to help with his load which is quite considerable. There is a fair sized chest, bedrolls leather packs, wine skins, rope, a lantern and plenty of sacks.


The mule handlers and porter from behind showing pack details.



Left side.


Right side.



Finally my favorite, the familiars. A flying raptor, (a hawk?), a raven, a perched owl, a minute weasel stoat/martin, a frog/toad and a cat.  All just the right size all completely perfect. I wouldn't mind a few of the raptors fro my wood elf falconers to be honest. A nice touch is the inclusion of some 1mm thin clear plastic tubing to mount the flyers on.






8 comments:

  1. Some very useful bits and bobs not to mention figures,thanks for bringing them to our attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aaargh! Spoilers!!!! Still waiting...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're not helping Erny! ;)

    I want some adventurers and I want them now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not helping me get ready for August having these guys distracting me.

      Delete
  4. Nice haul. I was so very tempted by this indigogo campaign, but I've already amassed a fair few RBG miniatures for my dungeon crawls and I believe there would be patent scale issues of combined with the Otherworld stuff (not the monstera, obviously). A shame, as these do look very lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they may scale well, only because I know Richard was a big fan of the RBG adventures and felt they were the best scale wise to fit with his monsters.

      Delete
    2. That is very interesting. I can see my debit card quaking as I type...

      Delete
  5. Well, I can see a DM-PC there, ready to infect our games ;-)

    It's (almost) a shame that I am due as near as matters an infinite number of Reaper Bones miniatures some time soon. That's a lot of painting that'll get in the way of buying these.

    ReplyDelete