Wednesday 1 August 2012

Oldhammer buildings for all!

After a brief discussion over IP mention was made about the lack of old style cardboard houses in current production. I love Dave Graffam's buildings and have loads but some how they just don't work for the old school feel. 

Perhaps like me you have the old boxed scenarios with the original card buildings but don't want to cut the ancient cardboard. Sure you could scan them, I know they can even be found on line. But the point about the discussion was about having something current free of any IP issues.

So remembering the old card buildings I used to draw with felt tip I figured how hard could it be these days with computers. An hour or so later of much fun and I bring you Erny's first Warhammer house. Its a little shack really nothing super special but a fun start.

If you like it let me know, down load it here, use it. I plan to make more I really enjoyed tonight's drawing and colouring in and I'm sure I can do better. At the moment it is just a .jpg but if you print from just MS paint with the margins off and paper set to a4 it comes out the size drew it.

13 comments:

  1. Well done! Here's a smile : ) and pat on the back...uh is there an emoticon for that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one!

    We just need a Coaching Inn now called the Golden Gobbo with a suitably illustrated sign to stick on.

    That and a barn, blacksmith's, stables, two storey town house, village hall, privy, woodcutter's cottage, etc ;)

    Is that all done in some fancy art software or in MS paint then? Never really had any decent art packages to play around with other than at work...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! I'll have that!

    Thanks mate.

    Blue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greta stuff - will hopefully have a go at building that tonight. Hell of a lot better value than the Lichmaster buildings Gaj found on E-bay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm impressed, it kinda reminds me of the old cardboard house that came with my first boxed copy of Warhammer (4'th edition, but what're you gonna do?) I hope you're going to build this into a range... right now my terrain consists of the tried and true 'old pillboxes for buildings, heaps of books for hills', practical and free, but uninspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all, it's proving more popular than I thought it would! I am planning more, especially as this was but a couple of nights light work.

    Thantsants, it's hand drawn in ink, scanned the coloured using the gimp, which I suppose is a bit fancy but is completely free, just Google the gimp, don't worry it's safe to do so. Learning how to use layers is the best thing you'll ever do in any image package.

    Gavin, we all started with such terrain, I guess if the buildings I plan are for anyone they are for guys like you who could do with a few free houses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great stuff. Care to do a "layers tutorial"..?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could do I suppose but there are much better ones than I'd produce out there already.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoaDHnl4pao

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6UZSvOhbb0

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckL9UOmgBWQ&feature=related

      Delete
    2. He Erny, I built one of these and have photgraphed it - put a photo up on the Lead Adventure thread, and a few more over at my fantasy blog. I'm also going to let the people over at Warhammer Battle Reporter forum know about it as many of them are very 'Oldhammer' themselves...

      Delete
  8. Thanks red Orc nice blog you got going you should advertise it a bit more!

    Oh and you're clearly old hammer at heart why not join the forum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like these old paper buildings. I too had intentions of doing some new buildings in this old style. I really like this one. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Keep watching there will be more, oh and I'd love to see you do some too.

      Delete